Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When do you know?

I just had a conversation with a co-worker and she told me that after 17 years it's time to put her cat down. She is extremely sad about it because she loves her cat very much, but BECAUSE she loves her cat, and the cat is suffering, she knows it's time. I have also had to make that decision when it came to our dog so I know how difficult it can be but like my coworker we seemed to know that it was time. When do you kwow when it's time, what or who gives you the strength and courage to make that decision.
A couple of weeks ago our pastor shared with us his story on when he lost his daughter and that he had to make the decision to let go. Everytime he tells the story I cry like a little baby because there is a point when he says to the doctor that it's time to let go! And that's when I feel the knife going through my heart.

So I ask you when do you know when it's time to let go? Where does the strength and courage come from to make that decision? And did you ever notice how we forget how strong we were at that time? Even after it's done we say to ourselves I could never go through that ever again and yet another situation arises and we are forced to make the decision and for some reason we can!

Let me know what you think

Icon

2 comments:

Leanne said...

I know a vet that will come to your home to do the procedure; our neighbor did this and she found it to be more comforting. I can give you the number to pass on to her if she would like.

JC said...

In my opinion we can know when it is time to let go when we examine our motivation for hanging on. If the animal is suffering and either you can not or will not alleviate the suffering then it is time to let go. We sometimes because of our own selfishness hang on and wrap it in a pretty package called love. Love is truly wanting the best for the other person. Sounds cold I know, but read I Cor.13 and see if what I said holds up.