Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is Image Everything?

This is a question that I have wrestled with for years. Being in the biker community I see it A LOT!!!! Image is everything, and I know I'm generalising, for most bikers. The kind of bike you ride, the type of clothes you wear, the type of music you listen to, the type of movies you watch etc... You can't imagine over the years how many times I've heard "You're not a real biker if...", I've read blog posts that claim to be a real biker you must do this or do that but in the end who is right and who is wrong. Who should I listen to or should I make my own decisions when it comes to being me.

Christian circles are no different when it comes to image. Churches has unwritten rules when it comes to dress codes, types of worship music, ways to pray, where to sit and who to sit with. I always thought that church was a place where you could be open and honest with people without reservation you can just let it all out and be yourself. But apparently I was wrong Image comes into play even at church.

Over the next couple of days I will share with you my image issues that I've been battling with and I truly hope you will be able to comment and give me suggestions.

Until tomorrow talk at you later.

Marty

1 comment:

Don said...

We have been talking with Jake recently about this issue, about being yourself, cliques, popularity, "cool", etc, as it has been on his mind as he transitions to middle school next year. Talking about the issue has given me pause to think about MY style, image, friend groups, defintions of "cool" etc. I THINK I'm finally, at 43, in a place where I define myself by how God sees me, instead of how the world sees me...But not completely. The journey continues.