Monday, November 3, 2008

Disposable society

Hey everybody, just wanted to share something. Did you ever notice how we don't fix stuff anymore? It seems like all we do is just buy new stuff. Now I don't know if it's because we want new toys or we are just trying to compete with Jones' or maybe it's because it costs just as much if not more to fix than to replace but we just don't fix stuff anymore. Does anyone know how to fix a TV anymore? The worst part in all this is it doesn't matter how much you spend for the stuff it will break within the year!!!!
This has been bugging me since last week and I really got a kick in the butt yesterday. I bought a brand new pair of Harley Davidson motorcycle boots last year. I paid over $200.00 for them so I figured they would last me at least 3 to 4 years! WRONG! After about 16 months the soul is falling apart. So instead of buying a new pair I went to a shoe repair guy to get a new soul put on. The dude wants to charge me over $70.00 for new souls. He tells me that the problem with shoes these days is that they are made poorly and the new souls would last me at least 5 to 6 years. I'm like cool that's a good deal however he then tells me that the leather will probably fall apart anyway! Nice guy just a really bad salesman. So back to square one! Do I buy new boots or new souls???
I also have a 32" Sony Trinitron that the tube is going on it. I love that TV but it keeps shutting itself off. I called a repair person that wants to charge me $175.00 just to look at it without even fixing it. I could buy a new tube TV for that price. So again I have a decision to make do I want to fix the thing that I love or just buy something new for a couple of years.
Let's get serious people, you want to reduce your carbon footprint, you want to reduce reuse and recycle let's force these companies to make stuff that last, let's fix the stuff we do have and let's find a way to be content with the stuff we own.
As for me I going to get new souls on my boots and fix my Trinitron to give it another chance and prevent it from ending up in a landfill somewhere!!!!!

Talk at you later

Icon

2 comments:

JC said...

Hey Marty,
As for the TV go to K Electronics on Youville. They will charge you nothing to assess it. AS for the boots, I have been wearing the same boots for over 2 years , and there still in great shape. They are retired military boots.

Carrie said...

Your my new hero MARTY!!!! At times tho IT is worth just passing it on to its grave - the PROPER way - then again is there a proper way for electronics in Canada?

YOU could years ago trust a washing machine to last as well - but $$ need to be made - so now even boots die - How do mattress manufactures make money?? NOO idea - but its about money. AND its marketed TO get you - HAVE IT RIGHT NOW and DO NOT PAY..... credit cards.. the list goes on.

AND we will always want MORE and BIGGER and better - its feels successful - we have lost sight BIG time of the INNER calling GODS calling to GIVE to others -

I think the 'rule' is : every pay - GIVE away.. then Pay your bills THEN what is left is yours.

Its a hard one...a VERY HARD ONE!