Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back to School

Well after speaking to some of the youth last week about going back to school and every one of them telling me they didn't want to go back the day has finally come. As of today most if not all schools in the area have started. I'll be honest with you, once I got to high school I loved the first week back. Now before you get all excited and call me a geek or a nerd, let me point out that I said I loved going back to school not class! I really enjoyed my time at school, I loved the friendships, I loved the idea of starting fresh, new people, new possibilities but most of all just getting back together with some of the people you didn't see during the summer.

I was never what you would call a good student, I struggled in French, English, Math and Science. However I was excellent in Gym, Shop class, Drama, Spares and Lunch! In other words I worked hard at what I wanted to do and slacked off or coasted in what I didn't want to do. Every year my parents and I would get into it, they would threaten and I would promise, they would ask even beg and plead for me to apply myself and I would assure them that I would do my best and by week 3 my best became whatever was good enough. By the end of the year I would just squeak by with a passing grade and my parents would say someday this will bite you in the butt. That used to make me so mad because what did they know about anything they were just stupid adults who don't know anything. Boy was I wrong. 20ish years later and I'm still struggling to get ahead. Because of my poor grades and my lack of commitment I have had to take equivalency tests, specialized training at night and I had to go back to school to finish some missing credits and I still have a long time to go before I can ever move up.

Do I regret my time in school, NOT AT ALL. Would I do anything differently if I could go back, FOR SURE. To go back knowing what I know now there are certain things I would change, study a little more, be a little more serious, be a little more assertive, appreciate the times with friends but most of all I would be nicer to certain people. But in general I would do it all over again almost the exact same way because if I changed anything who knows where I would be today, maybe better but I could be A LOT WORST!

Until next time

Icon

No comments: