Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A very long weekend

Hey everybody glad to be back at work. This had to be one of the longest weekends of my life. There were so many highs and so many lows it was hard to keep track of, I should be smiling or crying! I have to admit that this has been one of the hardest weeks that I have had as a Pastor in 3 years. It took a lot out of me and by Sunday night I was physically, emotionally and spiritually drained. I just wanted to emotional roller coaster to end.

It started Friday, I was asked to assist at the funeral of a good friend's wife, who was also a good friend. Although I was honored to be asked to take part in the funeral it was one of the hardest things I have had to do. To stand there in front of their family and our friends and publically say goodbye tore me up inside. Then Saturday morning I got up early to spend time with my kids and take them to Jiu Jitsu and chear them on with joy and pride, only to drop them off to attend another funeral. I didn't know the person but her daughter was one of our youth's Big Sister so I went to support her. Later that evening I was invited to a High School reunion of sorts and met some really old friends, people I had not seen in over 15 years. I had a blast, it was awesome seeing them again and look forward to another evening SOON. It wasn't until I got half way home that I realized how much I missed hanging out with them. It got me thinking of how different my life could have been if I would still be hanging out with these old friends. I also found out some really sad things about how some of them had really crappy lives growing up. I remember hating some of the people I went to school with in grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 because they seemed to have everything and I had nothing compared to them. Sad that the stuff they had came at such a high price. Sunday started off great I attended the service at City Church to see, meet and speak with their new Pastor. What a great guy, I wish him and his family all the best as the new Pastors of City. And finally to top it all off the victory of the best football team of all time in the NFL the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Fortunately not all my weekends are like this and I'm extremely grateful for the valuable lessons learned, the most valuable was rest. Monday night I fell asleep it was about 8pm and I still feel tired. So there is a very good chance that it will be an early night again tonight.

To those of you who offered kind words and support I thank you it really meant a lot.

Talk at you later

Marty

No comments: