Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Try something different

I was reading Jason Boucher's blog post called I have a Crush on you found here: http://www.slicesoflife.ca/ and in it he sums up everything that I have felt when making the decision to go into ministry. It isn't the lack of experience that stopped me, the lack of support or the opposition from family and friends it was fear. The fear of failure, the fear of looking like an idiot, the fear of disappointing my teacher and mentor, the fear of embarrassing my family, I was afraid! So it took me almost 1 year before making the decision and accepting the call that God had for my life. I made the commitment and have stuck with it for almost 3 years of studying and over 4 years of serving my church, serving The Church.

Last week I preached a sermon on the Future and the fact that if we want to serve we need to leave. We don't have to necessarily have to leave geographically sometimes you have to leave a situation, get out of our rut get rid of the " same-ol' " lifestyle, just leave. Sometimes it can be easy but a lot of times it is really hard. Staying is comfortable, it's reassuring, you know what's coming and can prepare for it. On the other hand leaving can be scary it's unpredictable, it can surprise you and startle you, it can leave you feeling uneasy and unsure of yourself you become afraid. Please don't think I have all the answers because I still get scared, I still worry sometimes and I still fight fear. It took me a long time to accept the Youth Pastor position, I thought long and hard, debated looked at all the pros and cons, analyzed and rationalized and couldn't make a decision. Not because I didn't want to do it, it certainly wasn't because of the Youth, because they are the reason why I wanted to do it they were the pros, it was because I was afraid. It wasn't until I stopped doing it on my own and actually prayed about it that the answer became very clear that I had to do this. One thing is sure when I stop doing things on my own and trust God with Everything in my life those fears stop instantly and worrying turns into excitement of the great things to come.

So for the next couple of days or weeks I encourage you to do something different, try something that you have always wanted to try but mostly have faith that God will lead you through it.

Talk at you later

Marty

No comments: