Monday, March 2, 2009

Lessons Learned in Youth Ministry

So the first lesson that I have learned so far, YOU CAN'T DO ALL BY YOURSELF! Wow how deep is that, I should get a book deal and start a tour. But seriously you can't. I have read 3 books in the last week and they all basically say the same thing. You need help, you should ask for help or get help. Same message said three different ways. And I agree with them. So I decided to get some help and use the free resources that are out there and available to everyone. It's amazing what kind of help you can get when you put the call out there. I'm a brand new youth pastor where do I start and I need help!!!! Within a matter of minutes the resources, the advice, the offers to help were really coming in because everyone out there wants you to succeed. It's not a competition it's a brotherhood. One of the best pieces of advice that I have received in the last couple of weeks has been the suggestion that I pick up a great book called Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry written by Doug Fields. What an awesome book and extremely helpful. I read this book and I feel like I'm sitting with Doug and he is answering my questions. The scary thing about this book is the fact that the answers seem the be coming in the order that I would actually be asking them if he were sitting in front of me.

If you are just starting out in Youth Ministry and you are wondering what am I doing here I strongly recommend you pick up this book it is worth it's weight in gold. I hope that someday I have the opportunity to meet Doug in person because I really want to thank him for the great advice.

Talk at you later

Marty

No comments: